Mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and thyme make a dreamy, comforting combo all on their very own, however add miso and hearty barley and also you’ve acquired a brand new recipe you’ll make over and over. This warming soup recipe from The Plant-Ahead Resolution cookbook is well made gluten-free by swapping the barley for buckwheat groats.
What you want:
1 cup uncooked cashews
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1 pound assorted recent mushrooms (resembling oyster, cremini, or shiitake), sliced
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon recent thyme leaves, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
⅔ cup pearled barley
2 tablespoons white miso paste
What you do:
- In a small saucepan over excessive warmth, add cashews and 1 cup of broth and warmth simply till it involves a boil. Pour right into a high-powered blender, cowl, and put aside.
- In a big pot over medium-high warmth, heat oil. Add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, and sauté, stirring usually, till mushrooms soften and start to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, then add barley and cook dinner, stirring usually, till flippantly toasted, 2 to three minutes.
- Add remaining broth and produce to a boil. Scale back warmth to medium-low, cowl, and cook dinner, stirring often, till barley is tender, about half-hour. Take away from warmth.
- Switch 1 cup of soup (together with some mushrooms and barley) and miso to blender with cashews and mix till very easy.
- Stir cashew combination into stew. Divide into 4 soup bowls and serve.