Fiery Sichuan peppercorns and milder Chinese language chili peppers mingle with scorching ginger and garlic on this recipe from the Chinese language Homestyle cookbook, for a deliciously easy and irresistible vegetable-forward dish.
What you want:
For the eggplant:
2 or 3 Chinese language eggplants (1 pound whole), stems eliminated, lower into 2-inch lengthy ¼-inch thick sticks
1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons Chinkiang vinegar
1 tablespoon gentle soy sauce
1 tablespoon darkish soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
1 tablespoon doubanjiang
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
For the stir-fry:
¼ cup cornstarch
⅓ cup peanut oil
2 teaspoons entire Sichuan peppercorns
4 scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
8 to 10 dried Chinese language chili peppers
What you do:
- For the eggplant, in a big bowl, place eggplant and canopy with water. Add salt and blend nicely. Place a pot lid on prime of eggplant to maintain submerged for quarter-hour. Pressure and pat dry.
- For the sauce, in a medium bowl, mix vinegar, gentle and darkish soy sauces, wine, doubanjiang, sugar, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and ½ cup of water. Stir till cornstarch is dissolved.
- For the stir-fry, sprinkle eggplant with cornstarch and toss till eggplant is evenly coated.
- In a big skillet over medium-high warmth, heat oil. Add eggplant in a good layer with out overlapping, cooking in batches if wanted. Fry eggplant items till most surfaces are charred and eggplant turns gentle, 5 to 7 minutes. Switch to a big plate. If skillet begins to smoke, scale back warmth to medium.
- Take away pan from warmth. Pour all however 1 tablespoon of oil from pan right into a heatproof bowl. To pan, add Sichuan peppercorns. Cook dinner over medium warmth till darkish brown. Take away with a spatula and discard. Add scallions, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers, stirring a couple of occasions to launch perfume.
- Stir sauce once more to ensure cornstarch is dissolved, then pour into pan. Cook dinner and stir till sauce thickens. Add eggplant and shortly stir to mix.
- Instantly switch to a big serving plate and serve sizzling.