The favored Tex-Mex breakfast migas typically contains scrambled eggs, crispy tortilla strips, peppers, chilies, onions, and chorizo. For our vegan model, we’ve fired up the grill and are infusing the dish with charred greens, a savory tofu scramble, and avocado topping.
What you want:
4 teaspoons canola oil, divided, plus extra for grilling
6 corn tortillas
1 roma tomato, lower in half lengthwise
½ crimson bell pepper, lower into strips
½ poblano pepper, lower into strips
4 scallions, tops and bottoms trimmed
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 (14-ounce) bundle extra-firm tofu, drained
1 tablespoon dietary yeast flakes
¼ teaspoon floor turmeric
¾ teaspoon black salt, divided
½ teaspoon granulated onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1½ teaspoons floor flaxseeds, combined with 1½ tablespoons water
¼ cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese
Sliced avocado, for garnish
Recent cilantro sprigs, for garnish
What you do:
- Brush oil on grill or grill pan, and warmth to excessive. Place 2 tortillas instantly on grill, and toast for 3 minutes per aspect, or till nearly crisp. Chop into 1-inch sq. items and put aside.
- Right into a bowl, add 2 teaspoons oil, tomatoes, bell pepper, poblano, scallions, salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and toss to coat effectively. Grill tomatoes, peppers, and scallions on each side till tender and grill marks seem. Let cool, roughly chop, and put aside.
- In a medium bowl, add tofu, dietary yeast, turmeric, ½ teaspoon black salt, and granulated onion. Mash along with arms till tofu is crumbled and all the things is mixed.
- In a big skillet on medium-high warmth, warmth remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add garlic and sauté 2 to three minutes. Stir in tofu combination and press into a good layer within the pan. Let fry untouched for 4 to five minutes, or till underside is flippantly browned. Toss and cook dinner one other 6 to 7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in flaxseed combination till effectively mixed with tofu.
- Fold in grilled tortillas, tomatoes, peppers, and scallions. Stir and cook dinner till tortillas have barely softened. Season with remaining ¼ teaspoon black salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and canopy pan for two to three minutes till cheese melts. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, and serve instantly with remaining 4 warmed tortillas on the aspect.